January 9, 2014

creating an entry

The foyer ... some houses are blessed with a space to take off a coat, leave your shoes, or drop an umbrella, but unfortunately our home didn't come with this in-between space, which became a lot more obvious when winter arrived. We had nowhere to put our dirty shoes and nowhere to throw our soaking jackets. I was also finding mail, keys, sunglasses, etc. all over the place, and realized we needed a spot to drop things as we walked into the house. Luckily, our living room is a decent size, so I knew we could somehow make it work. It didn't take much of an imagination to figure out we needed some hooks for coats and a console for our junk, but I also thought we could use more light, a mirror, and something to hold our shoes. Here's what I came up with:

The Console
I looked for small consoles everywhere and found a reclaimed furniture maker on Etsy who was able to create custom pieces. It may sound expensive, but it actually turned out to be really well priced and well below anything I could buy at West Elm, Pottery Barn, or Crate & Barrel. The only thing I could complain about is the amount of time we had to wait since it's handmade, but other than that I'm in love. It's simple, a little modern, a little rustic, a little industrial, and a perfect fit next to our front door.



The Mirror
I was convinced I would find a mirror at HomeGoods but that just didn't happen. It was especially hard to find anything close to the holidays, because everything seemed to be sold out and 'picked through'. When I was getting our bar cart on the World Market site, I checked their mirrors and found this carved wooden one. It looked nice and was the right size, but it's so much prettier in real life than in the website pictures.



Everything Else
The Target lamp was an easy choice, but I was really torn on the lamp shade. I ended up going with the chevron because it seemed neutral and went well with our zigzag patterned rug. I got the shoe basket from HomeGoods and had the small basket for some time now. The hooks behind the door are from Ikea, cheap, sturdy, and easy to attach to the wall. The only thing I have to really think about is the entry rug, because the one we have is too small and not waterproof.


This is such a better use of our space and my mind is at peace knowing all our mail and keys are in one place. Having a mirror near the door has been useful for both me and the husband, and we use those hooks every single day ... I'd say this was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment