December 19, 2013

our holiday decor

I'm not a big seasonal decorator so I usually keep it pretty simple, but now that we have a house I like to make it feel a little festive, especially in the fall and winter months. With the cold weather and short days, we spend a lot more time indoors, so why not make it feel happy inside? I was late on the Christmas decor since the month of December seemed more like a week, but I finally got it done. The fall decor was warm and colorful, a lot different than the Christmas stuff, and I kind of miss it: Fall Decor Post


But enough about that. Since I had no time to plan or make anything, I reused the pine cones we already had and decorated with ornaments and lights. Maybe next year when I do a little more planning I'll have something more thought out like my friend Meghan at Meggie Frue, I love the rustic, outdoorsy feel, and I can't believe I didn't think of decorating with cinnamon, genius!

When we first moved into our house last year, we had an empty house except for a real tree and wreath, so we decided to do the same this year. Besides that, the decorations were kept to a minimum: I wrapped the banister, added something to the dining room table, and of course did a lot of outdoor lights. That's our favorite thing to do, I mean, favorite thing to look at, doing the outdoor decorating isn't exactly fun when the sky is dumping snow every day. I'll leave the outdoor lights to the imagination, I need to leave something for my family to look forward to seeing when they come for the holidays! Disclaimer: It gets dark out early, so I'm testing my nonexistent indoor/night photo taking abilities here. You'll have to trust me that everything does not have a yellow tint to it in real life.

Here's the tree and wreath! The trunk was too big for our stand so the husband stood there holding the tree while I went out and got a different stand. Lesson learned, bring the stand when tree shopping. We got the basic wreath, so I added some pine cones and a bow.


I had three hanging flower pots on our porch all summer and when I took them down, it seemed empty. So I decided to do something with them for the holidays. I got poinsettias and styrofoam cubes at Jo-Ann's Fabric and Craft Store, and basically stuck the flowers and leaves in the cubes. It was really simple, inexpensive, and took at most ten minutes. This picture doesn't do them justice, they added some much needed 'Christmasiness' to our porch.


I added some table centerpieces, a sugar cookie Yankee candle (obviously), and banister lights. I guess it's not a lot, I've been to homes that have something holiday related on every shelf, but I don't have that kind of inventory, less is more, right? I also realize that my reflection is in every close up shot of the ornaments, yup, can't take pictures of shiny balls. Enjoy!


Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment