October 1, 2013

yardwork with family

We have a long list of things to get done in the yard, and I'm happy to say that a lot of it was completed thanks to our family. The team consisted of my mom-in-law, step dad-in-law, aunt, grandma, and of course hubby. I have to add that I take absolutely no credit for the crazy amount of work that was done. The husband let me know about this epic undertaking the day before, but I was already committed to something so I missed the action. I have to say, the neighbors are very impressed!

Powerwashing - Our aunt has a power washer that she brought over and the whole house was washed! It was visibly green before and now it's perfectly clean, the bricks, the concrete porch and columns, the porch roof, the siding, all of it.  The most drastic change was in the green bricks near the door, it's pretty amazing. There are two action shots of the day, taken by my mom-in-law. I am so bummed I missed this!

The dirty BEFORE:

Powerwashing action:

The sparkling clean AFTER:

Removed Shrubs - We have this hedge that wrapped around our porch, and you couldn't get out of the passenger seat. Every time I pulled out of the garage, I was afraid the hedge would scratch my car. So they took it out and now we can get in the car and pull up the driveway without worrying, it's such a relief.


Trimmed and Relocated Shrubs - The husband got ladders so they were able to trim the larger shrubs in the front and in the back of the house. They also pruned the Japanese maple near our driveway, that I was honestly scared to touch. Now I know how it's supposed to be done and it'll look taken care of. While everything was getting trimmed, they discovered a hydrangea tucked under one of the larger bushes in the back of our house. I had no idea what it was before, but I know it was definitely struggling to grow. They moved it to the side of the house to give it more sunlight, so hopefully with enough watering and care it'll bloom in two years. It doesn't look like much, but I'm so excited, I had no idea we have a hydrangea!


Sink Hole?! - After everything was done, my step dad-in-law was walking back from the shed and stepped into a pretty big sinkhole in the middle of our yard! What?? There used to be a tree that was taken down at some point, so we think the large roots are slowly rotting away underground and creating sinkholes. It's a little scary, but we filled it with dirt for now, and we know for sure that we have to level the yard in the future.


Thank you all so much for coming over our house and doing all that work! We couldn't have gotten so much done without your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment