October 3, 2013

testing living room rugs

Since I moved our living room rug into the dining room, I've been on the lookout for a bigger, better rug that could fill our living room. It feels so empty and sad right now, I mean, it echos in there! Strangely, the most important thing I didn't consider first is the size. I just assumed 9x12 was perfect and didn't really bother to measure it out. So the other day I taped out the size in our living room and continued analyzing ... I didn't bother getting my camera out, so these are a little dark and blurry.




I didn't know the overlap with the dining room would be so obvious. In the second picture you can see how much of the rug will be visible from the dining room. In an effort to simplify the process, I stuck to two rug categories:

1. red rug with everything else more neutral - geometric, oriental, floral
2. neutral rug and bring in color with accent pillows and art - geometric, oriental, floral

I had no idea what would look good, so I did some room schemes with differently patterned rugs (and went a little overboard, so I got rid of a few examples). This turned out to be useful in seeing the big picture, especially since we don't have all of our furniture yet.


rugsville

home decorators

overstock

home decorators

overstock

home decorators

home decorators

home decorators

overstock
west elm

I noticed that I have to be careful about reading reviews, because the coloring on a lot of these rugs isn't accurately represented. I really like the rug from West Elm, but I'm still undecided on neutral vs. red because I'm afraid a neutral rug will show dirt and spills much faster. On the flip side, a red rug might clash with the blue patterned dining room rug ... decisions, decisions. So far, these three are my favs from the trial:



No comments:

Post a Comment