October 31, 2013

halloween in the burbs

It's our first real, grown-up Halloween! Our neighborhood is pretty ideal for trick-or-treating, the houses are close, there's street lights on every corner, and there's youths everywhere. I've never handed out candy before, so it'll be fun to see all the little kids with their cute costumes, but I'm wondering if we got enough candy ... and wine for myself.

I didn't hang any Halloween themed decorations mostly because I was lazy, so we went the traditional pumpkin route. The only problem with real pumpkins is that they're tasty and something has been nibbling on them. I was suspecting one of my favorite critters, squirrels, but it could have been any of the cute furry animals that live around our house like rabbits or chipmunks. No, it wasn't any of those. 


I got home late one evening, and went to check on the pumpkins to see the damage for that day, but I found something horrible. Real gross. Slugs, yes, slugs were slowly eating our pumpkins ... why couldn't it have been cute chipmunks? I left the city roaches to be fighting slugs, on the bright side they're slower.

Apparently beer and coffee work to get rid of slugs, but let's get real, I'm not buying beer for slugs. So I got some advice from a really helpful Lowe's garden guy and got Diatomaceous Earth. It's inexpensive and completely safe, you can even eat it (although I wouldn't suggest that). Diatomaceous Earth is made up of fossilized remains of marine algae, it looks just like flour, and it dries up bugs on contact. So we decided to wash and carve our pumpkins and surround them with Diatomaceous Earth to prevent them from being further eaten. Let's hope this works.


Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment