September 24, 2013

decorating for fall

It's been feeling like fall for a while now, but I've been holding on to summer and refusing to hang a leafy wreath or buy any pumpkins. Summer always feels so short and I haven't even gotten to wear all my summer clothes. I didn't go to the beach as many times as I planned and I'm not ready to turn the heat on in our house. Well, the official first day of fall was Sunday, September 22nd, so I had to give in. I have to admit, as much as I like summer, I love fall sweater weather, the leaf colors, and of course the holidays. Really, who doesn't? Can we just put away the Christmas stuff? It's not even Halloween!

To get in the fall mood, I wanted to hang a wreath. Last year we hung one for Christmas and New Years and it really made us feel all warm and fuzzy every time we entered the house. Wreaths are pretty easy to make, so I thought that would be a small, fun project. I saw a hydrangea wreath on a blog that I had to make! Check out Honey We're Home for a tutorial. Typically, I like to use real flowers, but fake hydrangeas look pretty good and the wreath won't wilt or look dried up in two months.




I also wanted to bring the 'warm and fuzzy' inside, but in an understated way. I'm all for holiday decorations, but I'm a big believer that less is usually more. Plus, the more stuff is laying around, the more stuff I have to dust, so I kept it pretty simple. The one thing that really makes me think of fall is a pine cone, so I went to Michaels and found them on sale ... near all the Christmas decorations. I guess I never realized people tend to associate pine cones with winter, not necessarily fall, but who cares. I also went to West Elm to see what they have and found this natural wood tray that was perfect for our new round coffee table. The tray would be on the table year round, but it was the perfect place for a Yankee candle and some pine cones.


I put a bunch of pine cones on the dining room table as well. They're scented and make the kitchen and dining room smell like cinnamon! I'll put a few small pumpkins on either side of the basket once we get them.



Real or fake leaves? I'm not saying. We plan on going to a farm to pick out some pumpkins for inside and outside our house next week, and I'm really excited because I had so much fun doing it last year. It really feels and smells like fall in our home!

No comments:

Post a Comment