August 16, 2013

favorite salmon of all time

Now that I have a kitchen, I always have an urge to cook. My first test subject is the husband then my family, and after a few of them asked for recipes, I thought I should share what I've tried and loved. I'm no chef and these are not my recipes, but I do change things up from time to time. Why shouldn't my family and friends enjoy the food even the husband approved? Oh and I'll share some delish Polish recipes, but be warned, there's lots of butter, potatoes, and sour cream involved.

When I cook, I usually follow recipes, tweak them, and make different versions of them. It doesn't hurt to look through Ina Garten's recipes, she can do no wrong. One of my favs from Ina is a super easy salmon that is meant to be grilled, but I make it on a pan.

------- Here's my absolute favorite, Asian Grilled Salmon -------

- 2 or 3 pieces of salmon (2-3" wide)
- 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (i use garlic press)

Wisk the dijon mustard, soy sauce, olive oil, and garlic together in a small bowl. Drizzle half the marinade and coat the salmon, let it sit for about 10 minutes. 
Heat a pan on the stove (on low to medium depending on how hot your burners get) and add some olive oil once the pan is warmed up. Place the salmon in the pan skin-side down and get rid of the marinade the fish was sitting in.
Let it cook for 5-6 minutes depending on the thickness, flip with a spatula and cook for 4-5 minutes.
Place on a plate skin-side down, and drizzle the rest of the marinade to coat the salmon. Let it sit for another 10 minutes. 
Remove the skin and serve.

While I was waiting for the marinade, I made some frozen brussels sprouts and packaged rice. The rice had directions and I tossed the brussels sprouts in salt, pepper, olive oil and baked at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. That's more Sandra Lee than Ina, but you gotta take shortcuts when you can.

Umm, that was way too much olive oil, don't do that:
By the way, that Giant/Stop&Shop brand rice wasn't the best. Stick to Rice-A-Roni long grain rice, it's way better:

I challenge anyone to find a better (and this easy) salmon recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment